Each year, a Golf Australia Senior Team contests a match against the Australian Defence Forces team.
The event is played over two days, with foursomes and four-ball matches on day one, and singles matches on day two. The event was first played in 2007. This year the event was again be hosted by The National Golf Club on the Mornington Peninsula.
Day 2 Report:
Report from Tony Kennings:
The 2015 Golf Australia Senior Team has recorded a very convincing win over the ADFGA team. After winning both the foursomes and fourball matches on Monday by 4 matches to 2 they entered the all important individual matches with an 8-4 lead.
For the final day the weather was again a major factor with very strong and cold winds making it a very difficult day for all players. The course was presented in the immaculate manner we see each and every visit and the hospitality was above and beyond.
The singles saw another great result for the GA team winning 8 of the 12 matches. This gave the GA team a commanding 16-8 winning margin.
The younger Defence Forces team is always a strong one and this is the first win for the Golf Australia team in four years.
Congratulations to the GA team although the final score of 16 matches to 8 was no indication of the closeness of the matches.
This event is a must do for those who get the opportunity to play as the ADF guys are a great bunch of our finest Aussies and we are indeed fortunate to spend some time with them.
Greg Rhodes lost to Chris Sarquis 2/1
Trevor Huges lost to Andrei Azergailis 2/1
Mike Peek lost to Tony Greenwood 2/1
Mick Asami def Rod Smylie 2/1
Steve Toyne lost to Kim Johansen 3/2
John Banting def Kurte Lampe 3/1
Norm Cordina def Dave Salerman 5/4
Tom Harold def Joel Standring 5/3
Daryl Hearsch def Todd Wareing 3/2
Tony Kennings def Andrew Adams 5/4
Chris Gordon def Lewis Coyle 3/1
Ken Brown def Matt Klohs 3/1
Day 1 Report:
The tournament began today with morning fourballs followed by afternoon foursomes. A brief report from Tony Kennings appears below.
"Just walked in from the course, dinner is in 30 min so no time for a full report. Team captain Dave Edwards was called home as his son had an accident, Chris Gordon is playing in his place.
In wet and windy morning conditions the AUSOOM team managed to win the morning fourballs 4 matches to 2.
The afternoon turned out sunny but again it was very windy. Once again the AUSOOM team came away with a 4 matches to 2 advantage.
With an 8 to 4 lead going into the singles the Golf Australia Senior team are in an excellent position to record their first win since 2010. However, the ADF team has some very good players and we are expecting a tight struggle in the forecasted very windy conditions tomorrow.
In the blustery conditions the greens have proved very difficult for all players and will definitely do so again tomorrow.
Chris Gordon & Darryl Hearsch W 2&1
Tony Kennings & Tom Harold SQ
Steve Toyne & Mike Peeck W 2&1
Ken Brown & Norm Cordina L 1 down
Mick Asami & Greg Rhodes W 3&2
Trevor Hughes & John Banting SQ
Ken Brown & Mike Peeck W 1up
Darryl Hearsch & Tom Harold W 3&2
Tony Kennings & John Banting W 7&6
Norm Cordina & Chris Gordon W 5&4
Steve Toyne & Mick Asami L 1 down
Greg Rhodes & Trevor Hughes L 5&4
2015 GOLF AUSTRALIA vs ADFGA
The National Golf Club
March 23-24, 2015
2015 Golf Australia Senior Team
David Edwards NSW (captain)
Mike Peeck QLD
Mick Streit VIC
Norm Cordina SA
Trevor Hughes WA
Greg Rhodes VIC
John Banting WA
Tony Kennings NSW
Ken Brown SA
Tom Harold NT
Steve Toyne QLD
Chris Gordon NSW
The 2015 GA Team will be selected following the Royal Melbourne Senior Classic from 19-20 January.
1. As the event is not sponsored, players are required to make their way to the host club and contribute to the cost of the course (incl carts), accommodation and meals (estimated at $320). Players are required to stay with the team.
2. Players who have been selected in the previous Asia-Pacific or Sanctuary Cove Teams are ineligible for selection. Similarly, should the next Asia-Pacific or Sanctuary Cove Team have been selected at the time of the ADF team selection, those players are also ineligible.
3. The leading one player from each State and Territory from the Men's Senior Ranking System provided they are in the top 40 of the Ranking System at the time of selection and comply with 1. and 2.
4. The next three players not included in 3. and complying with 1. and 2. from the Australian Men's Senior Ranking System.
5. One Captain’s pick.
6. Should the number of players selected as per 3, 4 and 5 not reach 12 the balance become Captain's picks approximately in line with 4.